Cathay Pacific cycles Doing Even more with Less
• Final Test vote
Final Exam Outline
• 8-11am, Thursday June 13 • Half short and long answers on theory and guidelines from course • 1 / 2 case-study • Open or perhaps closed book???
Cathay Pacific Features
• Mid-tier airline • 15, 500 staff, seventy seven wide body system aircraft • Old airline – 50 years history – Vulnerable to cost cutting flight companies
• Global everywhere except China
– Lost getting rights in 1984 – Geographically next to largest market although cannot get
• Good reputation intended for service • Historically lucrative • Joined OneWorld cha?non, increasing USA flights thirty percent 4
THIS at Cathay Pacific: 1971s
• Stand alone development and operations activity • Ideal value, captivated best THAT staff • Homegrown reservation system sufficiently good that Cathay purcahased by other Cookware airlines • Large computer center, 10-12 mainframes working 24/7 • Independent with large number of builders • Entertaining place to operate • THAT building leading-edge systems, respected in business (still presently there as legacy today)
IT for Cathay Pacific: mid/late 1980s
• Via develop/operate to get and manage • THAT no longer utilized to differentiate • SITA manage complex phone system needs worldwide – Telecom is often initially IT area to be outsourced
• Started move by design and coding to acquiring packages and deploying • Office name changes from " systems expansion and support” to " systems delivery” • Emphasis on faster, less expensive, lower risk installation • Significantly less exciting workplace for fresh tech staff • Procedures expanded to 3 data centers • Problems of control intensified with 1991 fire in data center • Mid-size player and It does not sustainable competitive advantage – IT more of a necessity – Challenge to be quick follower instead 6
IT for Cathay Pacific: 1990s
• Continued pattern from 80s • Previously outsourcing additional core functions such as medical clinics, elevator repair to get...